• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A MTA or combo course for new mom?

Roselyne Farzana Ali

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
Hi,

I am new to online courses and just wanted to get the opinion of other enrolled or current students as how they feel about taking the MTA-PBC combo course rather than taking MTA first and then go on to PCB? such as workloads etc. I am a little nervous since Im a new stay at home mom and have some down time which I want to make myself useful by taking some course, Tho for someone like me, would u recommend taking MTA first, and would that affect negatively towards the latter course? Im worried I may feel overwhelmed if I end up taking the combo. I do not have any background with Medical terminology nor Anatomy just few basics from working in ER. Should I start with MTA first and get the feel of it and workloads etc..However, I do know that Laureen does recommends to take combo.

I would appreciate your feedbacks.

Thank you
Roselyn

Paul A

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
HCC Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
PPM Physicians Practice Management
I signed up for a combo MTA but with Medical Coding. I watched a lot of the MTA videos but i never really had time to concentrate on it since i was in a rush to earn my CPC. The one thing to remember is you have a year to complete it and can pay a small monthly fee to continue past the 1 year. So its not the end of the world if you find you don't have enough time for both

I know for the CPC course its extremely helpful to at a minimum watch the MTA video that correlated with the chapter I was on. I still need to go back and complete MTA so i can get the CEU and add to my knowledge as it will make me a better coder in the long run.

I'm enrolled in the billing course now and find so far there really isn't as much coding or as much need for detailed Medical Terminology & Anatomy knowledge.

Have you done the free 20 min phone consult with Laureen?

Laureen

Queen Instructor
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Hi Roselyne,

We have found when you study the MTA along side the coding course it makes it more interesting as you are doing a bit of what the real job would entail sooner rather than way later. Doing med term alone can get kinda boring and feel like you're just memorizing vs truly learning how to do something.

Doing them together doesn't mean doing double work - it just spreads it out differently. Rather than 2-3 months on MTA and 4 on Coding separately you'd spend 5-7 months on both. Most students spend 8-10 hours a week and get through both courses in that time.

And as Paul suggests feel free to book a call with me if you want to discuss by phone.
http://helpdesk.cco.us/support/solutions/articles/5000656413-career-guidance-consult-with-laureen-

Best wishes!

Roselyne Farzana Ali

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
Hi Roselyne,

We have found when you study the MTA along side the coding course it makes it more interesting as you are doing a bit of what the real job would entail sooner rather than way later. Doing med term alone can get kinda boring and feel like you're just memorizing vs truly learning how to do something.

Doing them together doesn't mean doing double work - it just spreads it out differently. Rather than 2-3 months on MTA and 4 on Coding separately you'd spend 5-7 months on both. Most students spend 8-10 hours a week and get through both courses in that time.

And as Paul suggests feel free to book a call with me if you want to discuss by phone.
http://helpdesk.cco.us/support/solutions/articles/5000656413-career-guidance-consult-with-laureen-

Best wishes!

Roselyne Farzana Ali

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
Thank you so much. I am actually going to go with combo course.
I signed up for a combo MTA but with Medical Coding. I watched a lot of the MTA videos but i never really had time to concentrate on it since i was in a rush to earn my CPC. The one thing to remember is you have a year to complete it and can pay a small monthly fee to continue past the 1 year. So its not the end of the world if you find you don't have enough time for both

I know for the CPC course its extremely helpful to at a minimum watch the MTA video that correlated with the chapter I was on. I still need to go back and complete MTA so i can get the CEU and add to my knowledge as it will make me a better coder in the long run.

I'm enrolled in the billing course now and find so far there really isn't as much coding or as much need for detailed Medical Terminology & Anatomy knowledge.

Have you done the free 20 min phone consult with Laureen?
Thank you for the information, no I havent consulted with laureen yet. I have made up my mind to go ahead with the combo course and get the feel of it,

Roz

Roselyne Farzana Ali

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
ICD-10-CM BLITZ
Hi Roselyne,

Best wishes!

Thank you Laureen, I am going to take the combo and ordering now. Thanks so much for your advise.

Roz